View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 4:31 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I can imagine this being extremely effective in downtown, where mixed-use development is very common. This seems to imply that even an office building with a small housing component (<20 units) would not have to deal with Ald. Reilly if they provide 10% of the required affordable housing (~2 units). We might end up with a building boom if developments can now just ignore the aldermen and NIMBYs
The Affordable Housing Equity Ordinance is what Lightfoot is referring to in her platform... this is a bill that was already introduced in City Council last year by Ameya Pawar. The expedited review process would kick in for any development including 10% or more affordable units on site. The bill already has 27 sponsors (i.e. a straight majority) but it never advanced, probably because Ed Burke.

https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

Basically this is 27 aldermen in minority or gentrifying wards who are voting to strip development review power away from a handful of other all-white aldermen with disproportionately wealthy wards: Reilly, Hopkins, Smith, Tunney, Napolitano, etc. representing the Loop, Near North, Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Edison/Norwood Park.

At first I thought this was another unrealistic platform goal for Lightfoot, but with 27 aldermen already on board there might be a way to push it through despite resistance from some powerful aldermen and richy-rich NIMBYs.