View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
As joke-ish as this may seem, does anyone think that the ship building contract might help this push through and get serious ??

I think it could help but im being optimistic, lol
Well, some economist friends of mine did some math when we talked about it. Typically with 'spin off' jobs, you can either get 2 to 3 from one full time job. So if 25,000 jobs are created with the major contract over 25 years you could see the whole contract create between 75 to 100k jobs (50 to 75,000 service sector type jobs).

To put that into a population perspective; if I remember my demographic calculations correctly from school 1 job typically creates a population increase ranging between 1 to 2.5. So taking the range into account and the economist numbers, you could see between 75,000 to 250,000 in population increase from the contract over it's 25 year life. So, taking 2010 population - it would see HRM jump to between 478,101 to 653,101 over 25 years.

Those numbers also don't take into account the potential for other sectors of the economy to see the contract and spin offs and decide that now is the time to spend $ to expand, thus creating even more full time jobs (and spin off jobs). So the contract could be the main event, but then could snow ball in job creation if other sectors jump on board with job creation.