View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 5:50 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
With regards to making the tower bigger (the build-out on the Fenwick Street side)... I was speaking to one of the Architects involved and she pointed out that the existing south wall is a big ugly blank concrete face. So the idea there is to take advantage of the south light and views by designing a glass clad addition. Not to mention presenting a much lighter and more "human" face to the street. This bump out adds more interesting detail and breaks up the verticality of the tower since it won't be the full height of the building. It's a good thing. The sketches also suggest perhaps a rooftop garden / lookout on top of this addition. Lots of great ideas.

The logical question would be, why not just reclad the south wall as is? I did not think to ask that question... but my GUESS is that this might be a shear wall. If that's the case... it's structural. The west and east walls are clearly just concrete curtain walls that can be re-clad at will. But the north and south walls may be shear walls.
From the information that I have read on this forum, a stairwell will be added to this section to add a second fire route. However, maybe I misunderstood.