View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 5:22 AM

Newbie warning!

Hello all! I came here in search of a good look at the Old Hall of Records and found myself immediately hooked. From then until now, I've been going through the entire thread, chasing the end page from 792 to 810. What a magnificent ride! You all have taught this longtime Angeleno a great deal about his city. I hope to be able to make my own modest contributions as we go along from here.

I have a partial answer to a pictorial question posed by Ethereal Reality back around page 804:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
mystery slide

Wilshire fence/no date

ebay

Anyone want to wager a guess?
__
I can tell you that the repeated blue "Wilshire" element was the logo for Wilshire gas stations, and in fact these look as if they were taken directly from the actual gas station signs. Wilshire gas stations were very common up in Northern California, but fairly rare here, as I recall. The company was bought out by Gulf in the mid-Sixties.

[edit] The previous information was from memory, and is not quite accurate. Gulf completed its purchase of Wilshire Oil Company of California, an LA-based firm founded in 1914 by George and Victor Machris, by 1960, but apparently continued to operate it under the Wilshire name until 1966.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Aug 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM. Reason: To correct and add information