View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 7:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Yes, in fact. They will actually arrest you if you don't have some sort of ID. I'd know - I was pulled over and given a ticket about a year ago for making a California-stop, right-on-red on my bicycle. In Portland. On a bike.

$242 for failure to obey a traffic control device.

I knew a guy in Portland who was tackled by multiple PPD officers for not having a front bike light:

I was threatened with a ticket last summer at North and Damen by a bike cop.....bike cops are almost 100% pricks on wheels.....for not having a front light.....it was late afternoon / early eve in summer 6ish or a little later.....sunset that day was after 8pm ;
according to the chicago muni code you need a light at night.....not during daylight....nonetheless he threatened me with a ticket unless I accepted a free light that was being passed out by some bike ambassador....fcukin brown shirts don't even know the law

9-52-080 Headlamps, reflectors and brakes.

(a) Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a head lamp which shall emit a white light visible from a minimum distance of 500 feet from the front and with a rear red reflector capable of reflecting the head lamp beams of an approaching motor vehicle back to the operator of such vehicle at distances up to 200 feet or a rear lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear.

--Correction to above....I should have said twilight, not dusk, and twilight would begin at sunset

Last edited by lawfin; Feb 26, 2010 at 5:11 PM.