View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
Why would anybody think adding a Target store to this area is the right thing to do?? Talk about taking the san francisco out of san francisco... What would happen to the prospect of neighborhood businesses in the area if a Target opened? Wherever there's a target, there is a loss of the type of places that make this city DIFFERENT. I do not want this area to be a palace of Ulta Hair Supplies, Burger King (which it currently is), PetCo, and all the other soulless, neighborhood destroying retail. Look at the neighborhood around CostCo in soma- barren, desolate, large chunks of concrete parking lots, a confusing traffic grid.

Places like Target have dehumanized America quicker and quicker for decades. Why would anybody shop at anything within a 10 block radius if they could get it for cheaper, and generically at Target?
The prospect of a Target store downtown is something I would fight, and I don't think I'm alone on this. Keep the big box retailers out of our neighborhoods.

I think this is a ridiculous statement. I doubt that Target would "Destroy" the neighborhood as is. Rather, it would serve as an anchor store, to help allow for more smaller retailers in the area. It would allow for this area to become a destination (similar to the new Westfield mall) and people can go to other places besides Target. Target does serve a very important niche which is not being served at the moment in the city. For example, I shop at Target anyway, just have to go to Serramonte to do so. While there, I might also stop at BevMo, Petco, etc. It doesn't mean that I also don't purchase from local stores as well.

The Costco analogy was a poor one as well. We all know that SOMA is improving for the better and before Costco was there, it was ALL barren and industrial. Nearby Costco, lofts have been constructed and there are other nice shopping areas which I also frequent (Trader Joes). You have to remember that this is one of the parts of SOMA that has not yet gone chic and still has a lot of work to do for redevelopment. The same can be said for the area where Target is and often times it takes a major retailer to be the "guinea pig" in the area to help spur future developments and improvements.