View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2015, 9:22 AM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Sweden is the commieblock "capital" of Western Europe considering its small population. They probably built as many as Soviet did per capita - often on the expense of old buildings. Whole blocks of medieval architecture was demolished in the centre of many cities to build large scale concrete "cities in cities".
This is why most cities in Sweden are very dull. In the big three - Stockholm, Göteborg, Malmö - most commieblocks were built in the outskirts though. I'd say the majority of the population in the big cities live in commieblocks - or at least it is the most common form of housing (Swede could correct me on this).

Pics from this thread.

Stockholm

Well, you get the point. All of these areas were built when Sweden was the richest country in the world...
Blåkulla, Malmvägen, [broken link], Rågsved, (don't know), (don't know), Storstugan at Täby Centrum, Akalla.
Been to 5 out of 8.

As to how big a % live in these areas? It all depends on how wide the definition is. If it is only the 60s-60s commieblock highrises? then no. If it's all the modernist anti-urban suburbs with multi-unit buildings? then I'd guess Yes. Less than .1% of Sweden's residential buildings are traditional urban stock iirc (of course, that is # of buildings, not # of residential units).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall