View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
I think it’s a wrap for the SWC project. The pandemic has allowed businesses and companies to see how successful working from home is and I don’t think voters in Portland can stomach paying for a route that a lot of workers in the burbs would use.

The simple fact is Covid has accelerated WFH by decades in a few months. I really don’t know how much demand there will be to commute from far SW to downtown in the future, and I’m not sure anyone does. But I think it makes sense to see how work and travel patterns are changed by this time we’re in
I'm not convinced there is a sea-change afoot in how humans work. I'm in the design industry and WFH sucks for a whole host of reasons. Having team scrums over tracing paper tops the list for me, though. We are social animals, and WFH does nothing to feed that need.

I'd also point out that the few times I've had to travel north into the city on I-5 in the late afternoon/early evening there is still heavy traffic in the Terwilliger Curves area. That will only get worse as restrictions (eventually?) get lifted.

I don't see a major shift to folks working from home on a full-time basis. It's certainly going to be more common moving forward, but traffic will still suck. Eventually getting light rail to Tigard would be a great move by the region, IMO.

Also: equity.