View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:37 PM
recession proof

^I went to a funeral service there many years ago. The Scotch Irish and Mennonites often farm together in many midwestern Ontario communities. A very simple interior iirc, with men and women separated. All white with plain oak benches. Almost Japanese in its minimalism. This church group had interesting rules: you could drive any car so long as it was 100% black, and it being in the era of chrome bumpers and hubcaps, they had to be painted black as well. Teenagers drove Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs -- all in hipster black. Last time I drove by on a Sunday I noticed many Mercedes, expensive SUVs etc ha. All black. Conservative Mennonites think black is "plain." I beg to differ - it's super worldly!

I can always tell a Scotch Irish farm apart from a Menno one: on Sundays, Mennonites carefully hide their farm equipment in driving sheds, keep any sign of work hidden and their yards immaculate. The Scotch Irish (and some English) farms are messy, equipment scattered everywhere. And of course many work the fields on the Sabbath. The Dutch are a pretty tidy lot too - after all many of the Mennonites and Dutch Reformed came from the same part of Holland/Low Germany.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Nov 27, 2020 at 9:49 PM.