View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2019, 5:04 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I agree with you. Certain companies prefer being located in the burbs, for sure.

However, you can't disagree that with a better business tax climate in the city, that 2-3 more of these Fortune 500s/1000s would be located in the city.

That's why I said only 2-3 more would be in the city, and not ALL of them. I'm being realistic. And reality is, a couple/few of these companies probably would move into the city if it wasn't for higher taxes.

Case in point - AmerisourceBergen is anchoring a new highrise in Conshy. Not Philly - Conshy. And while at this point, they probably preferred that for commuting reasons based on where their employees and execs live, at one point in time, they may have moved to Center City or Schuylkill Yards near 30th Street station if the tax climate in the city was better.
I mentioned this a while ago without naming the company, but I do know for a fact that they looked at commuting patterns when deciding to move... and found that moving to Conshohocken would mean longer commutes for most employees because most of them lived in places like Chester County or western Montco. They assumed it would be the opposite (that Conshohocken would be more centrally located for their employees) because, in part, they expected to find that more people would be commuting from the city than actually do. I think they also considered locating even closer to Philly - but not in the city itself; I'm assuming like City Ave, but don't know for sure - but the commuting stats told them that Conshy was as far as they really wanted to move.