View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 3:23 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Empire writes " I would guess that there are thousands of people unaccounted for today in illegal apartments that didn't exist in 1961. To say that there are 30,000 less people living on the peninsula today then 1961 I think is a huge stretch. "

I assembled the population data 12 months ago. I used the Canada Yearbook for many of the earlier years and then used the census data. I have the census data for each of the 18 tracts within peninsula Halifax. I ended up in the Killam library to get the data for the census that are not available online. I also checked the Halifax directory to see how the population changed but did not use that data. When I had all the data I made graphs and then aligned the data with the councillor districts and sent the information to Watts and Mason. The staff involved with RP+5 are aware of the population data but you will not find the information in their documents.
At amalgamation in 1995 the Halifax population was 112-115,000 and that included Rockingham, Clayton Park, Spryfield etc.
If I can use two words to describe the decline in the population I will say : 'The Pill'.
Young couples who want a family will not buy condos, they prefer a single family dwelling (SFD ) or a townhouse. Take note of where new schools have been built - Bedford or out in the former Halifax County; and note where schools have been closed - Dartmouth and peninsula Halifax.
On my street a SFD will sell in a day or within 7 days but outside of the core the market has been dead for almost 12 months. Condo sales died almost 12 months ago.
I estimate that the turnover/lifecycle of a neighbourhood from family to new family is approx 30 years but RP+5 does not have any commentary on this issue and has no plan to lure families back to the centre. Families spend more money in the local economy than retirees but again RP+5 is blank on this issue.
In a seperate post I will explain why I think RP+5 will fail. Here is a hint - count the number of councillors who represent the urban core.
How many single family dwellings are there on the peninsula including duplexes and townhouses?

How many students have been lost due to school closures on the peninsula since 1961?