View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 3:33 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Sprawl is bad in every way imaginable

To put a finer point on it, I'm arguing that it is not bad in "every way imaginable" as you stated. I am certain that there are ways in which sprawl is negative--I didn't say there wasn't. There are also ways in which sprawl is sustainable and positive. Again, I would argue, that just because you believe in something earnestly and passionately (which you do in this case) doesn't make it fact. Even a hard fact, if that's what you are interested in, has a multitude of causes and explanations. Pollution from industry and coal heating was horrendous in the early industrial period--in an era when people either lived in high density cities or on farms.

So your beef with The Spec now is that they are too neutral? How would you feel about The Spec if they stated facts the way I see them? Would that be more palatable?

Again, the deeper issue here is that someone can be as positive and forward-thinking about "urban" Hamilton as possible, but if they are unwilling to damn cars, big box stores and the suburbs to hell, they are simply dismissed here, because they are WRONG, right down to the marrow of their bones. Frankly I find it completely provincial and counter-productive.

I wonder what the tenor of these discussions would be if I simply dug in my heels all the time and said, "I'm right, you're wrong, case closed" without ever being willing to listen to other points-of-view.

Frankly, I'm about ready to start driving the de-amalgamation bus--I think perhaps the "divide" is too great...let Flamborough and Ancaster build their own roads, let Hamilton fix it's own sewers--and the fact that the "old" City of Hamilton will be completely pinned in development-wise can be solved by redeveloping brownfields.

Find me studies and reports that show the benefits of sprawl. It's not my opinion. This is multitudes of planners, doctors, educators speaking. Not me.
My complaint with the Spec is that ALL THEY DO is present 'your' opinion. That's why they always parade out the Desantis' of the world whenever another medical report shows the horrendous health effects of sprawl. They refuse to simply state the medical facts. They give us bullcrap from some guy whos job is to build homes.

RTH did some writing on this a while back:

http://www.raisethehammer.org/blog.asp?id=033
http://www.raisethehammer.org/index.asp?id=046 - read the ending part of this blog entry. Great stuff about the Home Builders.

ps...if it makes you feel any better, change my sentence above to "ALMOST every way imaginable". Although nobody has still come on here and given one solid, hard fact showing any positive effect of un-checked sprawl.