View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
New concept review project:

601 E Colfax (Tom's Diner site):
Denver can't let Tom's go quietly! It is one of the last remaining vestiges of the White Spot architectural legacy, and definitely the most prominent bit of Googie architecture in Denver.

Denver seems to have a pretty high failure rate when it comes to saving Modernist gems:

- In the 90's, Denver let Pei's paraboloid at Zeckendorf Plaza be torn down for the Adam's Mark black box.

- Denver let Lawrence Halperin's Skyline Park become a flat, usually lifeless beer garden/ice rink because it attracted "the shady people."

- Just recently, after getting all the feel-good encouragement of having the 9th & Colorado "research bridge" saved, it got the axe too because it was going to be "too tricky" to re-use.

Now, in 2019, we're going to let a nearly un-molested gem of a mid-century diner, complete with stone facade, original built-in's and tile, a dramatic roofline, etc., go for what will probably end up being an EIFS-n'-sheet metal mess? When there's still so many parking lots in Capitol Hill/Uptown? Isn't there a restauranteur in Denver who'd like to capitalize on the architectural value and take this upmarket? Lord knows nobody would even think about spending today's money on architectural details like the ones this place has in spades.

I'm going to puke. Who do I need to call? Can CHUN take action of some kind? If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears and I'm literally willing to go to bat anywhere to keep Tom's from being leveled.

Last edited by HighSt.; Mar 20, 2019 at 2:53 AM.