View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 9:09 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallo View Post
Stop 12 - Montreal, Canada
This was my 3rd or 4th time visiting Montreal. It is quite a nice looking city and the composition of the population is approximately 70% French speaking and 30% English speaking. Unfortunately the institutionalised linguistic racism/discrimination experienced by the English speaking population is rife and the attitude of the provincial government is to pretty much ignore this section of the population as if they don't exist.
I was going to comment on the nice pictures, but the editorial kind of took the fun out of it.

The English-speaking community has its own, publicly funded, schools boards, 3 universities, many hospitals, community organisations, etc. An English speaker can live his/her entire life without speaking a work of French. For a community that represents about 15% of the metro area's population, I'd say they get treated fairly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallo View Post
then of course there is the recent issue of French school boards confiscating schools from English school boards so they can turn them into French schools....
These schools, paid by the Quebec government, were almost empty while the French-language ones in the same neighbourhoods were busting at the seams. It just makes sense to utilise underused assets, and to consolidate 2 half empty English-language schools into one.