View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 8:25 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
The traffic counts on 102 in Halifax certainly don't warrant a collector/express setup though, but it should definitely be widened to 6 lanes if it isn't already, between the beginning of the freeway and Exit 4 and again from Exits 5 to 6.
I agree with you for the most part (definitely with the expansion to 6-lanes). A collector system, while the traffic counts alone might not warrant it, may be useful between Joseph Howe Dr and Hwy 103 (the busiest section of 102) because of the close proximity between exits. It's not likely to happen, however, because there's no room for such a system between JHD and NWAD without land annexations getting involved, complete with ripping down houses and/or closing a golf course. 6 lanes + weaving (for this section) should be sufficient, but I was just saying that a collector system would probably be a better design for that section if it wasn't for the space issues. Depending on the expected traffic counts on the collector, it could be as simple as a single-lane collector, though if memory serves me right, the existing ramp counts would warrant a double-lane collector if a collector were to be built at all.