View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Okay all you plant geeks out there - I need some help

So finally getting a chance to pick and plant some type of hedge to create a privacy wall along the back of our home, along the 60' of backyard view fence into a public area. About a 1/3 of our backyard is turf and then the remaining 2/3 is travertine deck along with our pool. I love the look that the "Hollywood Hedges" or Indian Laurel Columns (ficus nitida) provides. However, after some initial research, I'm reading that invasive roots are a problem. Obviously, not a problem I wish to encounter when they will be planted along our backyard fence and our decking is about 2 feet away. Went to Moon Valley Nursery and they mentioned this won't be a problem if I deep water them and hedge them back at least twice a year. Anyone on these boards have any experiences w/ these hedges? I'm also reading they're not as cold hardy and a bad frost may just wipe out our investment.

I'm really looking for something evergreen and that can grow up to 10' or more. Any other recommendations that you guys might have? I was looking at Italian Cypresses as well. Thanks in advance guys!
I have a pool and a travertine deck and 3 very large ficus trees(not hedges).

I've had the ficus for 25 years and they are about 40' tall. If I could do it over again I would not have planted them. I do deep water, yet their roots are in fact invasive. And they are very messy. The leaves constantly clog my pool vacuum. And after they mature they drop annoying little berries.

Also after they mature they'll need to be trimmed and thinned, annually. Once they get beyond your reach it'll be very expensive to have them trimmed every year.

One more bit of advice, don't listen to anything Moon Valley tells you. They are pushing a product, and all they care about are sales. I have a coworker who used to work for them and he said they have pretty much the same philosophy that car salesmen have. They'll tell you what you want to hear.