View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:40 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
Because there's a big difference between being right on top of an L stop and being a 15-20 minute walk from one. And nobody is arguing Toyota Park is convenient to transit.
Yes, unfortunately that's the biggest problem I have with Lincoln Yards, although overall i'm very excited about the development. The transit currently just sucks except for the Metra.

The only viable one for people on a routine basis without getting too upset is the Brown/Purple at Armitage is a half mile away. Still though you couldn't even really say that stop "serves" the development, it's just far enough that it's a pain in the ass to walk back and forth for it if you're doing it every day. Sure, for some it would be fine, it would be fine with me, but if you're looking at a massive multi-use development with thousands or tens of thousands of people coming in - Armitage is just a handy thing to have nearby - it isn't close enough to officially "serve" this development.

Blue and Red lines - yeah you can do it, but they're both 1+ miles away. It's possible and people can and will, but I wouldn't sell the development, stadium or to any Amazon workers as being served by the Blue or Red. Big stretch if you're trying to convince people this is totally handy to use every day. At this point you have people that will do it, and then a TON of people who will just say screw it and grab an uber because that mile to mile and a half at the end is just a bit too much after getting to the train and riding it as well.

I REALLY hope they do the downtown connector or transitway or some other form of official, FREQUENT, rail service directly to the heart of the development. The L lines can augment it for people that live in the city, but still those coming on the blue or red are going to roll their eyes at that mile walk through a random neighborhood just to get to the edges of the huge development. In a world class city it should have direct service - I hope they build that!