View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 9:26 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I hate it. What ever happened to baby steps? Phoenix is going to go from a city of no shade to this artistic futuristic shaded wonderland (which will probably turn out to really suck)? Why not go from nothing, to real shade (ahem, trees), to more real shade (more trees), then maybe throw in some of these "artistic" shade structures after all of that is actually shading people.
Wait, what do you hate? The SkySong thing? The art piece thats going in the ASU Civic Space won't really be a 'futuristic shaded thing' because, as Andrew said, it doesn't really provide shade, its just a big piece of art to look at. Thats why I'm initially down on the concept, I'd like to it to be pretty as well as functional.

Speaking of trees though, I was out at my folks house for dinner last night (NE Phoenix, Tatum/Bell) and there sure is one thing the central city can learn from the burbs: Desert landscaping. We need so much more of it in the central city, I'd love to see the suicide lanes on the 7's replaced w/ desert landscaped medians like they have in NE Phoenix/Scottsdale. I personally think the desert is beautiful (or else, why would I live here?) and the big, water sucking, non native trees that plague our inner city are a shame. There are plenty of desert, and other non native, but low water usage plants that are not only beautiful, but give shade, and I hope we see more of them popping up downtown.

And for every time a developer thinks "hey how about a palm tree?" I wish he'd replace it with a saguaro. We don't need to try to look like LA w/ palms anywhere, I mean, is there a single saguaro in Copper Square? We definitely need more of them,