View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 11:43 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
nice cold photos. i was supposed to go there for work last month but sadly work cancelled the trip due to the omicron surge.

-
That was a shame... Let me know if you're ever coming up this way again though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Looking great!

And no, no it is not fair.
Thanks! Except for an unfortunate warm spell at Christmas, this winter has been nice and cold, and I've been loving it. It's really nice to be able to get out and see the city without sweating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Not much pedestrian activity, but I can see a lot of things have been happening in this place, the new developments are nice. Investment in transit might bring out the full potential of this downtown, and it would not have to rely so much on cars to fill the streets with people, even on a cold morning. The cars and parking lots still dominate the cityscape a bit too much, but the potential is definitely there and the effort is evident. It looks like a nice place, definitely worth to visit one day. I didn't know South Carolina got snow but coming from Ontario, snow won't deter me.
Part of the lack of pedestrian activity comes from the fact that South Carolinians don't function well in the cold. I did photo threads this year in July and November and there was plenty of foot traffic in both sets. Regarding transit, you're right but I doubt real investment in transit would ever happen here. On the other hand though, Greenville is very busy developing high-density nodes in all its former mill villages. A $2 billion (billion with a "b") development was recently announced to turn the old Union Bleachery into a secondary downtown for Greenville. That's the kind of thing that has potential to at least fill the seats on what paltry transit this city has, and if anything ever could get the city to invest in better transit it would be that. In the meantime though, as it develops those nodes, the city is making sure to connect them via the greenway system.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947