View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2010, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I dont understand this quote. What does have to do with the neighborhood? Locally owned restaurants, bars, and clubs in seperate unique storefronts have far more to do with the fabric of a given hood than faceless corporate chains plopped in a block long mall.

Im not opposed to the idea of a development here. Change happens. But I am very opposed to its execution in this instance. I've long ago tired of the Chicago style clear-cut trend which obliterates entire neighborhood blocks in favor of one "master plan". What makes Chicago great is its diversity; designs like this decrease that.

This block is one of the few in that increasingly soulless area that actually contains some character (with Chicago-centric institutions to boot). I for one, will be sad to see it go. I seriously question if this is what residents actually "want".
Except for the theater...this area is the arm pit of the north-side and contributes very little to the neighborhood. It is dirty, dangerous and awful, filled with tons of crappy out of towners. Having places there that cater mainly to the neighborhood will at least let us take some of that area back.

If this stuff gets built and it goes out of business...then I will believe your opinion. Lifeless....we are getting rid of some surface parking....huge billboards...buildings that roll down their fricken security doors at night...and getting something that serves the neighborhood all day verses just game day and the weekend.