View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2010, 1:09 AM
BANNED

^^^ I agree I love the hundreds of infill pomo purple brick three and six flats and 3-6 floor apartment blocks that have gone up over the past 10 years. Yeah they are bland and completely non-progressive, but I can live with that since they make an excellent background for the jewels of Chicago's Architecture to stand out against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Why stop at 10 stories. Clear cut all the bungalows. Just line every residential block with skyscrapers.
Yes, because clearly this is a residential block and residential blocks are the topic of this conversation...

You show me a commercial artery that is lined with bungalows and I'll show you a block that needs to be razed and replaced with 3-8 story street-facing buildings with retail.

Also how the hell are you comparing this to a suburban strip mall. Hint, the only difference between the excellent streamlined 1960's 1 story retail buildings on the fringes of Chicago (Peterson is a great example) and a suburban strip mall is the fact that one has parking in front of all the retail the the other does not. Same goes for these old, one story, brick retail buildings that exist on the site today. If you slide them back 50 feet and put in parking, they'd be strip malls. This building on the other hand comes right up to the street, has a 3 story facade along the street, and no parking. You show me a strip mall in a suburb that is built right against the street and is three stories with a 10 story hotel on top of it and I'll admit your entire argument is flawless.