View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 5:24 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I think we can all agree that San Jose is not at the same urban level as San Francisco, in history and overall significance. But the tech industry is centralized in Silicon Valley, a distinct economic region within the Bay Area. I think in a long ago thread I started, there was discussion on metros that were more poly-nodal than others. The Bay Area is a perfect example of that.

Maybe long ago, SF was the most dominant city and most of everyone commuted there for business, fun, etc. But now, SF is just one of the major nodes of business in the Bay Area, the others being Oakland in the East Bay, and SJ in the South.

It isn’t like the NY Tri-State area where a higher proportion of people from the outer reaches of Jersey, Connecticut, Eastern Pennsylvania, and Long Island all congregate for work in the island of Manhattan. Or in Chicagoland where the Loop is by far the largest CBD and cultural center of the region by a wide margin ( if I’m correct).

If we’re focused on the Bay Area as is today, SJ is not just a bedroom suburb of SF. It’s a fellow satellite city, in the way St. Paul is to Minneapolis and maybe even how Baltimore always was for DC.
I think the closest comparison is to Boston and the Route-128 tech corridor. That wasn't quite as far away but that is probably due to geography.