View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Yes I have been noticing that too in Surrey and Langley. I see more of these examples deep in the corresponding municipalities, off of the main arterial roads in newer designs. However Surrey is still very guilty of sprawling with SFH's and so is Langley. It just seems that Surrey, Langley, and Burnaby have a much easier time switching over to midrises and introducing gentler density into their SFH neighbourhoods.
I think what we're seeing with this is a way to add density without annoying the nimbys. Yes they live in the suburbs too and they want a house with a yard and the very idea of a tower terrifies them. However buying up block of SFH and replacing it with townhouses, rowhouses, etc only potentially causes a little bit of grumbling. Then developers start making entire new neighbourhoods of that with the occasional building with ground floor retail with a few floors of office or residential above on a busier street. Again only minor grumbling, more about a planned community lacking character than an 'OMG it's a tower I'm going to have a heart attack!'