View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
I don't think American gave the route a chance. As you noted loads were fine, they just have really high costs. Assuming SkyWest has available aircraft, I would think Delta would be able to make LAX work. They too have a hub, code share with Alaska and other international carriers, and already have a presence in Boise.
I have no inside information about American but my hunch is that they pulled out for the same reason Frontier is pulling out, because the airline is in trouble. American came in with service to only LAX, and likely planned to add service to their other hubs like DFW and ORD. When American's parent company, AMR, declared bankruptcy, American had to cut costs. At that point it didn't make sense to invest more money into expanding Boise service and keeping a destination open for just two roundtrips a day to one destination wasn't sustainable. Over the past several months, American has continued to decrease capacity systemwide (although I'm not aware of any other destinations cut off completely).

Any one of several airlines could restart BOI-LAX service. Skywest now flies CRJs for Alaska in addition to Delta so either could be an option, also Horizon's Q400s would make sense.

@BoiseAirport- AS/QX may be able to bully Southwest out of PDX-BOI but I doubt they pull out entirely. There is still demand for BOI-LAS, PHX and DEN which I don't see AS/QX serving in the foreseeable future from Boise.

As an aside, as we're talking about air service while the Hawks are trying to get a new stadium built, how cool would it be for them to build an Alaska Airlines Field??