Thread: Via rail
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Just for Paris, Gare du Nord is very much in the heart. So is Gare du l'Est. So is Gare du Montparnasse. Central Paris sprawls.

I always walk from the station to my hotel...
Greater Paris has a population close to 12 Million. That makes Toronto and Montreal look tiny.

Quote:
European centres cover way more ground than their North American counterparts of similar size.
That's because our cities are younger and have more sky scrapers, creating a smaller, denser centre.

Quote:
this is not the outskirts of Paris:
See above.

Quote:
Central station, it could be argued, is neither at the heart of Montreal. Or Windsor Station, when both were constructed. (Bonaventure was, but it is gone)
Bonaventure station was directly adjacent to Windsor Station. Are you are thinking of Place Viger (which still exists)? Or maybe Moreau Station (gone) or McGill Street Terminal (still exists)?

Quote:
Montreal is my hometown and I taught at UdeM, and no, we are not downtown by any stretch of the imagination.

As for Canora, I have family in TMR so I am extremely familiar with the location.
How many times do I have to say that no one is saying it is downtown? It is just once the REM opens it will be very quick to get downtown.