View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Supporting fossils fuels is a pretty conservative position (even if the person supporting it isn't) but not far right. What's far right is the rest of the content on the website he linked, with racist articles right on the front page. We should also consider the behaviour of making a whole passionate post about an issue that is at best tangentially related to the discussion in this thread from a user who seems to post only about fossil fuels and only in a supportive view.

PS: If you think supporting Big Oil isn't a far-right view, I encourage you to do even the slightest research into the lobbying habits of those companies.

The oil industry has nothing on bankers and big pharma when it comes to lobbying. Some consider public unions more dangerous than industry lobbyists. Lobbyists only promote themselves and their industries. That covers industries, etc. from A to Z. Then they help the politicians write legislation that protects and promotes their interest group.

I didn't post this article with any political motive. I have not read or watched any of the other articles or videos that were promoted. I have no political allegiance, and no allegiance to any media company, anywhere - official or otherwise. I posted the link to that article because it would be of interest to those tracking economic activity in Saint John. I reviewed the recent posts on this site to see if this story had been covered anywhere. It had not.

My positive interest in the energy industry is based on the absolute necessity of oil and natural gas, as well as anything else that maintains and increases the standard of living for the entirety of humanity.

It is old news by now, but oil is an essential ingredient in almost everything we consume today. In an ideal universe, there would be an alternative, but so far there is not. If we run out, or simply stop consuming fossil fuels, humanity will be in unimaginable trouble. That day is coming, but there is NO alternative, known, or even on the horizon today.

Without fossil fuels, humanity is regressing to some significantly prior era.

I did not put forth any viewpoint on any other story. I do not endorse anything else on the site, nor on any other media site, or political site. I made no statement of support for or against any other information provided on that site, or any other.

I did make one statement supporting the energy east pipeline. Everybody is welcome to their opinion, and I am exercising that right now, and will continue to do so. I believe a 4500 km pipeline is far safer, and more efficient than trains, trucks, and ships. The efficiency difference alone is justification for the pipeline.

The pipeline would help to economically unite Saint John, and NB, with the rest of Canada. The pipeline itself may not provide a large number of jobs after construction, but it would upgrade and centralize an industry in Saint John that would attract other industries - if properly promoted - politically and otherwise. Do some easy research to see how much money is being invested in NEW plastic manufacturing. Just go out and try to capture a small part of that. If you don't, others will. All high tech electronics manufacturing is heavily dependent upon fossil fuels.

It would allow Canada to keep more of the value of refined oil products in Canada.

If you have the luxury of not wanting that economic activity, then why not just tell Irving to pack up and move on. The pulp mill stinks to high heaven anyway. The refinery is an air quality hazard and a safety hazard in other ways. It's way past it's usefulness. Even ships in the Bay of Fundy are a hazard to the life in the bay. We can survive on unreliable wind mills and solar panels - that work on nice sunny and windy days - not too windy though.

Maybe Saint John is just doing much better than the rest of the world in a time when economic activity worldwide has cratered, and is likely to stay that way for a very long time. That would be nice, but I haven't heard that.

That is the very reason WHY Cenovus is shipping two tankers through the Panama canal as I write this. The situation in Canada does not allow any other way but the oil is critical.