View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 2:27 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Not Energy East again.

Even if the political climate would allow for an easy approval, I'm of the mind that very little benefit would flow to SJ. A temporary boost during construction, and then a handful of permanent jobs at the export terminal. I believe ballpark 50 jobs? Hardly make or break for the region.

And I have my doubts about the magnitude of any temporary construction boom too. I have it on good authority that TransCanada's plan would have been to house the majority of construction workers at temporary camps, meaning there would have been very little in the way of permanent improvements to the city's neighbourhoods or housing stock, something we would otherwise hope to come in tandem with local economic development.

The fact of the matter is that Saint John is actually doing okay now. Our population is growing, largely thanks to international immigration. Multi-unit development is accelerating on the Peninsula and throughout the city. And it's all happening without a big catalytic boom-bust capital injection (e.g. '90s frigate program, Lepreau refurb, Energy East, etc).

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford