View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
I walked through yesterday and you could see that it was not just drawing from Center City residents but rather from people all over the city. It was a great multicultural cross section of what Philly is today, lots of families, teens, non-family adults. I think PREIT's concern is that Center City-ites get turned off and it only draws from non-Center City residents which could turn into a negative stereotype feedback loop that it is only the mall for 'them'. I think there will be plenty of people to go here (as long as it's kept safe, attractive and has things to draw people): residents from any part of the city with good rail or bus access, center city workers, tourists, conventioneers.

I am not a mall or shopping person but coming in with low expectations I was impressed. I will definitely try to partake it as much as possible. I was also a little let down by the food options, but I really liked the underground access to the transit lines (El, Patco plus Jefferson Station).

I don't get the complaints about the video screens. People actually want streaming video facing Market Street? Isn't that a safety hazard?
Every mall has a "food court" with relatively mundane, affordable chain offerings. This is no different. At least there will be some nicer stand alone options such as City Winery. Even the food court at Liberty Place is nothing more than a glorified mall food court except its more crowded and noisy than any upscale mall foodcourt. The Bourse is an atypical food court with fancier options and a unique environment- but I just read numerous vendors there have closed up shop already. My guess is you wont be reading the same about FDP food court purveyors anytime soon.