View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Sanborn Maps

I thought at first that the rounded corner of the nw corner of La Brea & 3rd might be an old Morgan Walls Ralphs store... but it seem not. (Somewhere on the thread is a newspaper ad showing all the Raplhs location, but I couldn't locate it.) It was, however once a drugstore...

Los Angeles Times Dec 27, 1932

There is a 1954 Times article describing the assumption of the space by Beaver Hudson, which may have been in the "used auto sales" space to the north of the corner. Hudson was on its last independent legs in 1954, however, so this plan may never have come about. Pictures of the corner ever being used as a car dealer are elusive...

The Ralphs was opened in January 1962; judging by the roof of the Ralphs on the corner today (set back from 3rd Street, that is), it looks like bones of the building might be the same and that the current (unfortunate) exterior walls have replaced the interesting glass facades.

Los Angeles Times Aug 20, 1961
Thanks for posting this information. I noticed the drug store connection in the later '30s but hadn't discovered that it existed that far back ('32) It does not appear listed in '29. Per the news item, and given the date, one assumes the 5 gallons of alcohol was medicine for the soul and only available by prescription. It probably does not come as a surprise that the same address is listed in '38 as a restaurant. I would guess this meant soda fountain/lunch counter. However, your blueprint suggests a separate but attached restaurant. H. Montgomery operated or at least had something to do with the restaurant in '38. http://rescarta.lapl.org:8080/ResCar...search_doc=271

I also found the Ralph's image interesting. I can't say for certain, but I think the building's foot print moved or was drastically enlarged over the years. I am pretty sure that it moved back (northward) and subsumed the area that was Irv White Buick. This increased the parking lot size too.

The '61/'62 facade struck me as more business office than grocery store. I suppose I could be wrong but I remember some kind of anodized grillwork that obscured the store's interior florescent lighting. The black and white image does not appear to include this and makes the store seem more exposed. As interesting as the facade seems to be, I vaguely remember the interior of the store as small and poorly lit - not the vastly improved Ralph's of today and not as bright as the image would imply. Of course, abysmal weather during my quasi-memorable visit may have colored my impression, but the fact that the store has apparently been remodeled many times over suggests its design may have needed improvement.

I too would be interested in seeing more photos of the area including the Irv White Dealership. I also wonder about the leaded/stained glass windows of the 271 La Brea building, as it seems an odd fit with a drug store.