View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I don't even particularly like history, cause it's so fucking full of pathetic ugly mistakes, but I guess people still need to be aware of details like this.
Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it.

Also, ancient Egyptians did not look like sub-Saharan Africans, at least not in the region of Alexandria or Cairo. They weren’t Arab either. Nor were there Turkic people in what is now Turkey. These were all Mediterranean people who were not blond-haired (although Ancient Greek and Roman prostitutes often dyed their hair blond), but did have light skin and I think sometimes even blue eyes. They didn’t look quite like modern Syrians or Greeks either, as the Arab expansion during and following Mohammed and the later Turkic expansion into Anatolia created some different admixture by the Middle Ages.

And the “something” was population density. That’s the main factor in the development of civilisation. For example Greece exceeded the carrying capacity of their arable land, and then started colonising the Mediterranean.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov