Thread: Winnipeg Jets
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
True North was the catalyst in spurring most of the developments you mentioned. Downtown developments was essentially dead until the return of the Jets. Their indirect impact is quit significant. If you look at any of the marketing material for those projects they all boast about their proximity to Bell MTS Place, live, work, play, it's a huge selling feature. I dont think we can undermine the value True North and Bell MTS Place has had on all downtown development since it's inception and more importantly the return of the NHL. It's doubtful the impending sale of Portage Place and it's redevelopment would be happening had True North Square not been constructed. Same goes for the redevelopment of the medical arts building among others and we will continue to see economic spinoffs from True North's investments in the years to come.
Just because they tout BellMTS in their ads it doesn't mean they are the deciding factor in other developments happening. It is a selling feature for sure but so are many other factors. You can not prove that the majority of those developments I listed above are or were constructed due to the return of the Jets.

Portage Place went into further decline when the Jet returned, so I am confident that development proposal would have happened regardless of whether they were here or not.

Your claim that Winnipeg downtown development was essentially dead prior to the arrival of the Jets is flat out false. There have been plenty of project in the exchange alone over the past few decades that disprove your claim.