View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 12:22 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Some of my favourite wee ones in Newfoundland and Labrador.

I mainly prefer one type: traditional Newfoundland vernacular, of course - but ONLY if the communities were founded with the intention of being larger. Communities of this type are still completely rural in appearance but have a denser, more haphazard mess of buildings when compared to communities that were always intended to be villages. The latter tend to consist solely of a single road with houses on both sides, businesses mixed among them, and have no identifiable core. People from most parts of the world probably wouldn't even recognize them as communities.

So here are a few examples of the former, the type I actually like, set to an old tune...

Video Link

Brigus ("Brick House")
Founded: 1612
Population: 750

Harbour Grace
Founded: 1610
Population: 3,075

Newtown
Founded: 1849
Population: 390

Bonavista ("Beautiful Sight")
Founded: "1497" (Actually sometime in late 1500s; but changed hands between Basque, Spanish, French, and English many times; current town dates to early 1700s)
Population: 3,750

Trinity
Founded: 1700s (Exact year unknown)
Population: 191

Port Union
Founded: 1917 by the Fishermen's Protective Union; markets itself the only union-built town in Newfoundland and, now, Canada
Population: No idea, it's amalgamated with the whole region

The other main type I prefer were those built by the American military, which Trevor3 has already depicted well.

And a brief glimpse at what immigrating/living in one of these small towns can actually be like:

Video Link

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Nov 27, 2014 at 12:43 AM.