View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Welcome, Andrea! I know what you mean about wanting to catch up, but also stay current…
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality;
Welcome to the thread Andrea. -so glad you found noirish Los Angeles.
Thank you for the welcome(s). I noticed as I was going through the early pages that there were continually new pages added and that even if I skipped over posts where the photos were missing I was not making much headway toward being current. Often I had a good reply for what I was reading but realized it was years old and a reply was pointless.

There was a guy who said he was archiving all the pages, files and photos on his local machine. Is that still being done? Is there any way to access this or is it uploaded to a cloud anywhere as a back-up to the back-up? I understand there would be copyright issues if it were on the web where it could be indexed by search engines but if it were stored as data that wouldn't occur.

Long ago as a child, even before the internet was a part of the public consciousness, I envisioned an archive where all photos could be accessed by location and date and that Los Angeles, because it was so commonly used as a movie location since 1913, would be the richest such place. Now it seems likely that such an index is not only likely within my lifetime but that this very thread would be a part of it and that ethereal_reality and others here were dreaming similar dreams to mine. Certainly powerful bots will exist in the future that can fill in the blank spaces with likely images and a visit to the past will be possible. Is such a project happening now?