Thread: Winnipeg Ice
View Single Post
Old Posted May 11, 2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well, I went to the first two games of round two vs. Moose Jaw. Total domination by the ICE. I guess it's possible they could slip up on the road but I expect them to sweep the series, or win it in 5 games at most. They look ready for the big showdown with Edmonton that looms in round 3.

That said, I was curious to see how the community would respond to a playoff run. To date, I'd say the levels of fan interest are pretty soft. There is a small hardcore of fans showing up to every game (including myself, ha), but it seems to me that the ICE struggle to some extent to fill their building. Even at this stage, not that many people are aware of who they are. The only playoff game that looked really packed to me was game 1 vs. Prince Albert. Not coincidentally, that was a bobblehead giveaway game which always draws a crowd. Since then there have always been some empty seats, and the team has been resorting to giveaways, group deals and discounts. Not a great sign when your arena only holds 1,800.
In other words, the ICE are the Toronto Argonauts of Winnipeg.