View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 6:11 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I agree with Pavlov. Downtown Victoria is very nice but does not feel as busy as Calgary's downtown.
Victoria is my favourite city in the country, at least that I've been to so far. Halifax and Ville Quebec might give it a run for its money though. However, I don't know how I feel about if Victoria is as busy/busier than Calgary or not. Victoria has the stunning waterfront with no analogue in Calgary (or really anywhere in Canada west of Quebec City), and it is allllways busy. The thing about Victoria (and Halifax) is that all of the activity is concentrated in a much smaller area. So both cities may appear busier than Calgary, but that's only because they're much more compact. They both also had a minimum of 30 years (Victoria) and 100 years (Halifax) of historic/pre-automobile development than Calgary did. This is where all of Albertas cities fall short, as they were the last major centres founded in Canada. Calgary is the oldest, established in 1884, and that isn't saying much. Either way, I'd say Calgary and Victoria are pretty much on par, with an edge to Calgary. I can't speak to Halifax, but again the concentration versus the spread. Concentration creates a better sense of vibrancy, so maybe Halifax wins?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.