View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 10:19 PM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krases View Post
We shouldn't be farming in the desert anyway and I totally support shutting down alfalfa farms in the name of producing more power.

The main problem is that while water based solar power uses a resource that we have very little of, it is also the cheapest way of producing power. So cheap, that it can compete with coal on a price level. Other forms of solar power simply don't have the low cost of more water intensive projects.
That makes no sense at all--why would you compare solar with coal, just based on the cost of producing power? The cost of coal includes the resulting acceleration of rapid global climate change(from CO2), the health effects of the air pollution, and the destruction of the environment.

Put up photovoltaics in NV--then you can stop claiming the cannard that solar needs water. The even bigger fallacy of logic, is claiming a comparison with coal without mentioning the real costs.

Perhaps it would be best to continue this discussion, here(if you wish):
SSP Solar Power Thread

My apologies to all on this thread, for my role in helping to veer it off course.

. . . Back to the (almost/sort-of) high-speed train proposal! Wasn't 125mph considered high-speed--back in the 1960's?
"There is no endeavour more noble than the attempt to achieve a collective dream. When a city accepts as its mandate its quality of life; when it respects the people who live in it; when it respects the environment; when it prepares for future generations, the people share responsibility for that mandate, and this shared cause is the only way to achieve that collective dream." - Jaime Lerner