View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think that the pictures were taken from further back than it initially appears. Here's an aerial view from 1980 which shows a parking lot opposite the Brownstone Hotel, then a low commercial building, then another parking lot. The 1972 image also shows the corner opposite the Harold Hotel as a parking lot. There's a much larger building near the "S" of my "S San Pedro Street" label which could've been the photographer's location. Most of the buildings in that area were something to do with clothing manufacturing at the time, although I haven't identified exactly who owned this one. It was demolished between 1980 and 1994, and is now part of the site for the Union Rescue Mission at 545 S San Pedro Street. One of the buildings in the foreground of the second 1970s picture was probably the San Julian Hotel at 526 San Julian Street.

Historic Aerials
I knew you'd be a game Hoss! Thanks for your research. I really appreciated it.

As for the Harold Hotel.

detail

The present day sign is much more impressive than the simple white blade that's visible in the 1977 photograph (above)

http://evanescent-city.blogspot.com/...partments.html

To be honest, I didn't realize it said Harold at the top until I saw this night view.

evanescent_city

So is this impressive sign original to the building? ...where was it in 1977?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 9, 2017 at 11:37 PM.