View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:09 PM

800 South State

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
There's a work session for the first part of the Sears Block development scheduled for the planning committee meeting tonight. This is about the previously-discussed Z-shaped 11-story building proposed to go at the corner of 800 S and State Street.

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan.../00439Memo.pdf

Overall I think this is a good start and the developers seem to understand the potential of the block. The apartment and retail look very solid and I'm not too bothered about the long facade given the other features.

That said, I do think they should allow more space for on-street dining out front. I'm also concerned about the proposed interior park - it is completely surrounded by roads. That seems to defeat the purpose of having an interior park in a supposed pedestrian-freindly development. Hopefully the work session addresses that in some way, but the park isn't part of this particular proposal, so there's still plenty of time for things to change. I also heard early on that they wanted to find a way to keep the taco carts on that corner around, but I didn't see anything about it in the document.

Still I'm excited to see some real, actual mixed-use development come to that portion of State Street. It is much needed.

I noticed the document had some updated renderings, so I thought I'd post them for everyone.

*They labeled this next one as 'northwest corner,' but I'm pretty sure its northeast, so oops on their part.

They also included slightly updated drawings for the west side of the project - not sure why they didn't continue with the rendering style above, but whatever.

I really like that they also included in this rendering the other surrounding under construction residential projects in the area. I'm not sure why they have the words 'The Jetty' above this project, unless that is the intended final name for the development.