View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 4:42 AM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
And over there, across the freeway lanes, in the haze what do I see...wait could it be?...Monkey Island??

For some reason Monkey Island seems to have gripped the consciousness of some Noirish readers...I have to admit that I've had a "monkey" on my back about this place.

I've spent hours comparing this old photo to modern maps, and have driven the area, trying to ID the streets and buildings on Cahuenga Blvd. West, which is across the freeway in this shot.

Yes, I think Monkey Island was on that strip between the 101 and Cahuenga Blvd. West, or more precisely, a few hundred feet to the left. (Mind you, it was demolished long before this photo was taken.)

Some other reference points, FWIW:
The relatively new bridge over the 101 to the Universal theme park now crosses the freeway here and connects with the dirt road in the foreground. Today it would crash through the left side of the photo. In the upper section of the shot, just right of center, the small road heading up the hill is Broadlawn and the road that slopes up towards the upper right and then swings left is Multiview. The Oak-Crest Market, which we've seen on Noirish before, would be on Cahuenga West off frame to the left, and if it's old enough, it would have looked almost straight at Monkey Island for the few brief years of MI's existence.

I think I'm done with this topic but one question haunts me. When MI was demolished, in about 1941...what happened to those hundreds of monkeys???

(P.S. Loved the giant photo of DTLA.)

Last edited by 3940dxer; Jun 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM.