View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
There are lots of other good choices, but if you're not 100% sure what you're doing, they are usually the safest bets.

Swamp White Oak, Silver Maple, Acer Freeman (silver/red maple cross).
Silver Maple loses limbs pretty easily, it's a fragile tree and I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I still have a massive one at one property (where no A/C is needed - it towers over the building like a giant umbrella) and I'm considering getting rid of it due to the risk.

Grows very fast, though.

If they are planted on the ROW that belongs to the City (who will be liable if they do any damage) then okay, no downside then.

Also, they attract squirrels, they love them. Mine is always full. They're cute to watch.

I wanted to get myself some elms of DED-resistant cultivars, but they're all sold in the USA and the only places where it would be logical for me to plant elms are in Quebec. (I am almost certain I located a massive elm in the forest on my NH lands though... not sure as I'm no expert on elms, they're all long gone here. I don't recall ever seeing an American Elm in person ever since I started being interested in trees.)