View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
According to ANS, some of the people who spoke against this development live in a ~10 storey building across the street.

I think this is one of those "infill is great, just not in my backyard" cases. It's easy to agree in the abstract that X% of development should be in the urban core, but in order to hit those targets the city has to actually permit new buildings somewhere, and some people will not be happy. There is empty land on the peninsula but it's not all immediately available or owned by developers (a large portion of it is owned by the government). It seem pretty likely to me that if developers can't even put up a lowrise apartment along a mixed, semi-major street like Coburg Road, there isn't much hope for hitting that 25% target.

I also find it pretty evil that people who live near Dalhousie complain about the fact that new housing might be available to students. In the case of the apartments on South Street years ago there were people complaining that nurses might move into the 1-bedroom units. Seriously.
Well the ultimate comment I made in a moment of frustration to a few community residents at an open house was if they don't like the fact this lot could be developed - buy it and turn it into a park. But don't expect the city to pay for it or fund the maintenance.

Shortly after I said it, I realized I had a total foot in mouth moment but then they huffed away and I never heard from them again. So I think sometimes a dose of reality is helpful.

Was this a public hearing or was it an initiation discussion? I ask that because Councillors normally only speak to it - was the public engaged during the discussion? I was a little surprised there were public letters already...