View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post
Visually, for me at least, the architecture doesn't work. Looks like half a watermelon slice, rotating on a banana. About the only building I've ever seen in the SLC area worse than these three is that post-modernist atrocity in the middle of Holladay...you know, the turquoise and black building with the bronze deer in the front. YUK!!! I wonder if the same architectural firm is behind all four buildings?
I love this building!

Haha, how could you say that? I think it looks fantastic. It's literally within walking distance of my house so I see it everyday, I've never heard anyone say they didn't like it.

About the Old Mill development. Wow. 12 stories really seems like a lot. I can't really imagine how big that would be. The current buildings (Old Mill I,II, and III) seem pretty big already. I really do think this is a good area for those offices though. These aren't just office buildings, these are corporate offices. The companies headquartered there aren't just local, they're world class, to say the least. I know of two major-CEO's in my neighborhood who have corporate offices there. David Neeleman, former CEO of JetBlue, who used to live down the street from my house, and Ken Wooley, CEO of extraspace, who also lives down the street, both probably chose that development because it's very close to where we live. A good portion of the major Utah-entrepreneurs live in this area anyway.

Anyway, I really don't think this size project will pass, being right by the south end of Holladay Blvd. you're going to get some strong naysayers. Richard Beckstrand used to be my scout advisor (to say the least ), I'll be anxious to talk to him next time I see him. This development has been continually growing bigger and bigger. It wasn't always this big, it wasn't nearly this nice either. There's still a concrete-mineral mine overlooking the whole complex, it'll be interesting to see what happens to that eventually. I quite like it as it is right now, there's a wonderful vibe there. I believe there's a Residence Inn there now, obviously the golf course is attractive to businesses, and there are tons of thriving restaurants. My favorite is Market Street Grill with the modern cable swaying bridge that goes over the river. It's really an exciting area.