View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 9:05 PM

The biggest problem with suburban development is that there are very limited connections. Even Daybreak is limited in how it is connected to the areas around it. Someone early talked about the major street grid being in place, and it is. The biggest problem though his that the connections between arterials, collectors and local streets are limited. You see this in all parts of the suburbs, whether it is Taylorsville, Sandy, South Jordan, etc. Until the development patterns change, the suburbs have a real challenge of improving their land use mix, transportation, etc. into a system that limits their impact. They can do it, but they need to do some soul searching about the role they play in the region and and the best way they can fulfill the role to benefit themselves and their neighbors. Job creation is a major component of that.

Denver Tech Center is a crazy place, similar to the fort union area, only much larger. I was at the Rocky Mt. land use Institute a few years back and they said that there were more jobs in the tech center than in Downtown. I also noticed a lot of vacancies when I was there. The City it is in (commerce City I think) has a very small base population and has real issues paying for services for their daytime population based on there small number of residents. It is almost the complete opposite situation than most suburbs.