View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 10:19 PM

Chicago has three peaks period. Trump being 3 blocks away from 2 Pru does not make it a peak. Hancock is 3 blocks away from Olympia Center and Park Tower and I wouldn't call those their own peaks. Trump is kitty corner from Illinois Center, it's part of the same economic cluster and this will become ever more apparent as more super talls like Wanda go up along the main branch.

tribune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Do you see this type of process happening around Wolf Point? I imagine it could possibly happen along the north branch of the river
I mean yes and no. Wolf Point is a single developer and essentially being build in phases to maximize the capture of value created by each tower. Every tower they build at Wolf Point makes the next tower successively more valuable. Phased mega projects are another developer trick to "bend the rules" to favor them as much as possible. Just look at LSE, they started by building a bunch of little buildings around a new park which made it possible to command increasingly higher prices at larger buildings like Aqua and now Vista.

But if you are asking about the other office towers along the river, then yes. Every office tower build on Wacker makes the remaining lots successively more attractive to develop. That's why the General Growth building is going to be a bit taller than it's siblings across the river which in turn were a bit taller than their cousins on the East side of Wacker. Office buildings tend to see less height variation though because each additional floor is progressively less valuable above 50 or so floors so it takes a serious shortage of developable sites to trigger very tall or super tall economics.