View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Those aren't remotely equivalent neighborhoods. Neukölln and Kreuzberg are gentrified inner-city neighborhoods filled with young German professionals. Les Izards and St. Denis are deprived suburban neighborhood filled with immigrants.

If you compare apples to apples (so Kreuzberg to anywhere in East Paris, or Neuperlach (Munich) to St. Denis), you will see they are quite similar. In both Kreuzberg and anywhere in Paris east of the center, you will see former immigrant areas filled with young professionals. Similarly, in Neuperlach and St. Denis you will see poor 90% immigrant areas filled with non-Europeans.
Images from GV are from about 2008 for Germany, Neuperlach seems like a quiet german neighbourhood with the exception of maybe a few suspicious "plattenbau" buildings, streets and buildings are clean and people there seem quiet and what you would expect in "old europe", St Denis images are from 2013, I don´t think you could compare those places . Almost everywhere in St Denis there are women wearing turbans and african descendents, I even saw a beggar laying on a sidewalk, there are garbage bags piled up.
This could have changed a little recently since Germany was taking massive immigration the last few years while France not, and I´m sure Germany has worse looking neighbourhoods, likewise for France.