View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

We are viewed as rural and backward, without a real medical school to provide back up and ongoing continuing medical education. We are also viewed as being without amenities that some expect like museums, quality theatre, private schools etc. In addition, many physicians have high income earning spouses who may find it difficult finding meaningful work in our province. Now throw in the fact that you can make 32% more money elsewhere and that by living in NB you get to pay 41% more tax. Would you come here to work???

I'm probably within 3-5 years of retirement, so I'm not going anywhere but I'm now beginning to despair over the ability of my group to find a replacement for me when I retire. Health care in this province is going to suffer. I think there is a very good chance that I will move elsewhere on retirement. Someplace to the west. Someplace with a lower tax regime and a better climate - perhaps BC.

I'm sure I'm not the only "high income earner" thinking this way.

I used to think that NB had a future. I used to believe the hype of McKenna and later Lord. I guess I was mistaken. If I was a young physician with my career in front of me, I would seriously think of moving now. NB is probably not worth the bother.......
I mostly agree with your last few posts on this topic, MonctonRad. After over a decade of training, I gave my home province at shot in spite of all the short comings you mentioned here, all of which I was well aware of btw. None of my colleagues from large canadian and US metro areas would have considered moving here and the reasons you listed keep coming up over and over again. Now they can add on top of that the title of highest income tax on the continent. Perceptions, weather they be true or not, can stay in peoples' minds for a lifetime and this can have devastating effects. I'm concerned that even if this is changed in the near future, that the damage to the province's reputation is done in many people's mind.

The future does appear to show quite a bit of uncertainty... no guarantee I will spend my entire professional career here, unfortunately... very unlikely I will spend retirement here.