View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Perhaps the fact it's "right on top of BART" is WHY is has a parking podium rather than an underground garage. There is a need for parking of some sort in high end residential buildings no matter what the car haters say and it's not necessarily for trips around town. For years I had a car in San Francisco almost exclusively for trips OUT of town--to the mountains, up and down the coast, wine country etc. There's just no doubt that not having to compete for parking on the street is a major attraction to any building for a lot of potential residents, even if they intend to take transit for most local trips.
Valid point. I tend to get opposed to podiums as I feel they are more poorly planned in terms of the overall effect of the building, and simply an after thought to how it works overall for pedestrians.

With Oakland suffering a lot of wounds from a lot of previous renewal efforts being fairly car centric, I am skeptical of that being included in density that will presently be in the near future.

At the same time, this history has been built into Oaklands culture, and cars will be a factor. And as you point out, with some degree, SF has that built into it as well.

Forgive my zealousness on the issue. I am only skeptical of how well they are planned, and a tendency for a lack of offering something to the greater community.
I see the parking podiums currently going into high rises being not much different that those that make DTLA somewhat isolating, if not, amputated to say the least. But parking serves a place.

Regardless, appreciate your point as a change of perspective. And yes, a trip out of town as your main use of a car is nice if you are not constantly having to move your car. And sadly enough to say, I see enough broken window glass on my walk to BART that I can't blame wanting a car in a more secure place.