View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
I lived on the edge of Montrose for over a decade, just south of Richmond, and I walked nearly every single day. Of course weather can be an issue on some days, but there were still few people walking the other 8 months of the year, so its not just the weather. The infrastructure is very poor (bad or missing sidewalks), and there are incredibly few pedestrian oriented destinations (no setback, sidewalk access). Lots of driveways and parking lots.
And I lived at Graustark and Richmond until the garden style apartments got replaced with a large wrap around then I lived near Richmond and Alabama until moving to Austin.

I don't know what to tell you, a broken sidewalk or having to walk around a small parking lot to the entrance of an establishment were inconsequential inconveniences to me. I won't sit here and say Richmond and Westheimer don't need serious repairs, sidewalks and streets, but I never had any issues getting around by foot or bike. I would also always own a vehicle, regardless of living in central austin or central houston. Most people don't spend their lives within a quarter a mile of where they live.

Quote:
I assume this is the Whole Foods you were referencing:
https://goo.gl/maps/7QcZgWUi3Yv1tXJv9

Here's another on Kirby:
https://goo.gl/maps/mmhW8xvBBFCRcN5f9
It was the first one. And walking around in business casual clothing was pretty sweltering on a late April evening. However, going out and walking his dog along Buffalo Bayou with Yetis full of Tito and soda was very doable.

Since you also mentioned the Kirby location, we've taken an uber to Upper Kirby and bar hopped between the new mixed use developments. The Kirby district has done a great job of upgrading and maintaining sidewalks.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire