View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Yes, it's in between. I suppose I could move it if people really want me to.

But getting into the weeds of details like that would be a major headache, and would really go beyond the scope of this list. The projects have to be categorized somehow, and there are plenty of discrepancies. Seattle's light rail is also sort of in between because it operates more like heavy rail. There are also major differences in the quality of the commuter rail projects. Some of them (such as Denver) are going to run basically like light rail, whereas others will only be a few trains per day.
Thats why the term "heavy rail" and "light rail" is actually becoming antiquated, because there are soooo many different forms in between.

So a better way to list these projects (not including the commuter rail or streetcar) would be "fully grade separated" or "non fully grade separated"

Simply because that is the strict definition of a true metro, if it is fully grade separated or not. From there a grade separated rail can be split into light metro, heavy metro, automated, etc...

So, Honolulu would be fully grade separated while Seattle's would not, due to its at grade crossings and running along the road in areas.

Also, just as an fyi, places like Vancouver even further blur the "LRT" "HRT" border with the Canada line, which actually uses full HRT subway cars, but only runs 2 car train sets as of now (but automated).

PS - Metro-Vancouver is building 11 km of new grade separated skytrain (RRT = rapid rail transit) this year, pre construction, such as clearing and prepping utilities has already started.