View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 6:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money doing this. This thread is for those of us who live in other states and want to 'see' what is happening and for those who live in Winston-Salem and want to know about that construction site they noticed or what is next for downtown. It's for those thinking of moving here or attending college here. Thank you, again, to all of our photographers for helping with this! Please continue to help with this project. Please find this thread useful in learning about this city and its construction.

Are you ready for another performing arts center in downtown? We are seeing a nice increase in the number of new proposals and there is a nice vareity in what is proposed and under construction.

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
My source was right and the restaurant and wine loft opened on Thursday. Reservations required. The hotel is expected to open today. I guess we only have one more post remaining on this project? I'll miss posting on Hotel Indigo. This was one of my favorite construction projects. Everything looks great and this will be a nice addition to downtown. I would like to make the last post on this project a big photography post, with only this project in the post, if possible.

Cladding the stair tower:

Credit: vincerabil

Credit: linvilleteam

Workers haven't installed the marble below the windows, on Thursday:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

A rare view of the two front sides, showing the painted windows:

Credit: winston_360

Art-O-Mat installed at the new hotel:

Credit: hotelindigowsd

Art-O-Mat is headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem and has art dispensing machines around the world.

Credit: artomat

Ice Maker Cabinet:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

The quotes above the tables of the original 1960s Sir Winston Restaurant are reused in the new Sir Winston Restaurant along the soffit:

Credit: copperhead.studio

Credit: sirwinstonwineloft

The original 1928 terrazzo floor shows where rooms and walls once stood in the former 1920s luxury department store:

Credit: artomat

I think they did restore (partially reconstruct) the transom above the stair entrance (brick building on far left):

Credit: airbyalkali

The new sign is now installed and it looks different from the renderings:

Credit: hotelindigowsd

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
The opening date has changed to June 30. So, it does appear as if Hotel Indigo will open before the Hampton Inn & Suites, though the Hampton Inn & Suites started construction long before Hotel Indigo. I was guessing we would see this happen. I've heard they had to bring-in other contractors to fix the work of previous contractors and some of them said it was mess? I don't know if that is true or not?

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Bottom left corner:

Credit: vincerabil

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:
Downtown Winston-Salem has zero lot line rules, however it appears as if they allowed the hotel developer to create space between their hotel and the neighboring buildings so all of the hotel rooms could have windows and they could also create outdoor amenity spaces, including an actual courtyard. An artist will paint a mural on the neighboring Foothills Brewing Company Building, in one of these narrow spaces. It should be interesting to see these spaces during construction.

Now in blue:

Credit: CRA

Merschel Park:
A new park located above a large underground parking deck.

Credit: jhize

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center:
Installing signage for the creative agency moving into the downtown office space at this office/hotel/restaurant/conference center project. A true mixed-use project! The creative agency said they will move-in to the office space, in this adaptive-reuse project, in a few weeks.

Credit: nu.agency

Theatre Alliance Building:
The Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance is moving to downtown. They received a significant donation to purchase the former Blue Bird Cab Building on Sixth Street and have taken out a loan. They will renovate it into a performing arts complex. The building is around 70 years old. When we have more details, I'll add it to our first post list.

500 West 5th:
Renovating a former 21-storey life insurance company headquarters into Flow's headquarters, with a startup incubator, college student startup spaces, tech company office space, and retail on the lower floors.

A look at the entrance courtyard work:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:
And now this project is appearing in our updates! Two shipping containers will be transformed into a beer garden. One of the shipping containers will be used for cold beer storage and the other as a bar.

Bailey South:
An update on this office and retail development. Still waiting to see a crane rise above the site! They will restore the 1926 power plant building for two floors of retail and construct a new 6-storey office building behind it, with access to the under construction Low Line pedestrian and cycling path.

The original windows are still in place, under the plastic:

Credit: mapmic12

The other side:

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

311 East Third:
The development team is confident they will commence work on this 12-storey office and retail project, with underground parking, in the next fifteen months. Atrium Health is believed to be the lead tenant and may announce their lease of this space at the end of this year or early next year. This project is part of $1.5 billion in development, nationwide, this developer would like to begin work on by Summer of next year. The timeline is accelerated. Their other downtown Winston-Salem office developments have leased-up and they are ready to start on the next project.

LJVM Renovation:
These are new renderings for the war memorial. The current 1980s war memorial, with its 500 granite obelisks, will be replaced by this $17.5 million Veterans Plaza. The State of North Carolina has agreed to offer $10 million toward this project. This project includes bronze statues representing the five branches of service, standing guard around the plaza. Statues of Lawrence Joel will be placed in the lobby and in the plaza. A bronze battle cross will also be included in the plaza. Look for historical displays in the lobby, which will become a Hall of Heroes, with banners for each branch of service. In place of the obelisks, Forsyth County veterans' names will be etched in a black granite monument in the shape of the Pentagon. Visitors can make rubbings of the names from the monument. This is expected to become a class field trip destination and it is very classy. The coliseum will also add restrooms with this renovation.

Thank you for your service!

Credit: WFU

Main & Third:
This is an office, retail, and shared parking deck project, discussed as two projects in this thread.

You can see the tower crane and notice the buildings around it are taller than the 110 foot / 33.6 metre tall crane:

Credit: dsagws

A late-night concrete pour at 5 a.m.,:

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Reynolds Place Arts Theatre:
A 350 seat performing arts theatre, constructed inside a former downtown textile factory from 1911.

Credit: stitchdesignshop

First Baptist Church Restoration:

Credit: muffysmitty

St. Pauls Restoration:
Our first photograph update on this exciting project, restoring a church designed by architect Ralph Adams Cram (Cram & Ferguson) from 1928.

Workers are restoring the stained-glass windows:

Credit: femenellaandassociates

Centenary UMC Renovation:
Updating the interior of a church designed by architect Bertram Goodhue in the 1920s. Sadly, the architect didn't get to see the ground breaking. A similar church was built in New York City (Church of the Heavenly Rest), with the same architect using a slightly modified version of this design. The New York City church scaled-back their building, due to the Great Depression. The Winston-Salem church stopped work during the Great Depression and continued raising money until they could complete the church as it was originally designed.

Credit: lambert_architecture

The Exchange at Oak Street: Built!
I think this downtown project was completed a few months ago, but there was never an official announcement? It appears as if the condominiums were very popular.

Credit: GSV

Dave & Buster's:
This entertainment / barcade venue will have a soft opening on May 9 and their official opening is scheduled for May 13.

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

On the Skyline: Look for the tower crane

Credit: dominicgraymedia

They completed that side, but still haven't started on the front facade:

Credit: rita.bottoms

Alternative Transportation:

East-West Expressway Demolition:
The new Main Street Bridge will open on Wednesday and the Cherry Street Bridge will close for demolition on May 5. On May 11, the new Church Street Bridge will open. The bridges are designed for pedestrian enhancements, expected to start construction next year, and are designed for a future streetcar system.

Pouring the deck on the Church Street Bridge:

Credit: jamesp6460

Low Line:
Transforming a former elevated rail line into a pedestrian walkway.

No construction workers on a Sunday morning:

Credit: rideshareray

Off-Subject:

Thunderbirds Hockey Team Wins FHL Championship:
Winston-Salem's Thunderbirds hockey team has won the FHL Championship! The last time a Winston-Salem hockey team won a league championship was in 1989, when the Thunderbirds won the ECHL Championship. The old Thunderbirds won five league championships in the 1980s. Since so many northern transplants say the hockey games in Winston-Salem have the feel/atmosphere of something from Upstate New York, it's fitting for them to win the championship in Upstate New York. Yes, there is a hockey team in Winston-Salem, if you're interested in seeing them next season. They seem to be very popular. There is also amateur hockey, college hockey, and youth hockey in Winston-Salem, if you're interested.

Winston-Salem Skyline in 1929:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

Credit: higuysimbri

Fun Downtown Alleys / Laneways:

Credit: dominicgraymedia

Credit: catbirdartevents

Credit: penny.converse

Your City